16 Tips to Make Your Year Productive – I
Fed up of making resolutions and dropping them midway? Then chuck resolutions and prepare a set of achievable and interesting goals. By goals I mean, all those one-time-things you have always wanted to do. You can even do them side by side. Here is how.
The year glides by and before you know, it is December. In the end, you ask yourself, ‘What have I achieved this year?’ and you can’t think of anything much. Deep inside, you know that the year was just okay and you are in the same position you were, when the previous year ended. 365 days whooshed past and you have no clue what you did. To change that, I prepared a list of things I wanted to achieve this year. When I wrote My Bucketlist for 2016, it was well received by the few who read it. That inspired me to write this post.
Resolutions are mostly recurring, boring and general in nature. That is partly a reason for us to stop them midway. Most of us keep resolutions to make a difference in our lives and at the end of the year, we are back to square one. Isn’t it time to change the pattern? Yes! Prepare a list of achievable goals. Things you have wanted to do but never got to doing or fears you wish to overcome! Anything that would be a propulsive factor to you, something that does not require a forever routine.
Why Replace Resolutions with Goals?
Know the difference in this context 🙂
- The reputation – Most of us do not take up resolutions anymore because we know it is not going to happen!
- The Recurring Routine Nature – Most of the resolutions have a routine nature and picking up routines isn’t easy. People get bored when they hit the gym on the tenth day or eat boring dietary food everyday. There is nothing interesting to pep it up.
- No Defined Plans – To hit the gym regularly, to read more, to meditate, to diet, stop procrastinating are the regular items on the list until the list goes missing. No one defines what regularly means and how to achieve that, what more means in ‘read more’, how to meditate and what dieting means according to you. With no plans, they all vanish into thin air.
Here is an extensive, but not an exhaustive list of goals you could prepare:
1. A Bank Account to Enjoy Life – If you are earning, open a Recurring Deposit account, give a standing instruction so that a portion of your salary automatically goes into the RD account. This will be your account for enjoying life. I have seen many of my friends work a lot, spend carelessly and then struggle for money when they want something they have been dreaming for long.
Now, what is your passion? Is it traveling, reading, shopping or partying? If you transfer enough per month, you will have enough in the end, to go on that trip, buy all the books, go shopping or partying. Did I hear you say that you already have good investment plans? Even then, you need an account for splurging. It is an assurance that you can have fun at anytime! I saved a bit when I earned earlier and used it for a recent trip. Trust me! You won’t regret it. 🙂
2. For Book Lovers – Many of the book lovers do not manage to read as much as they used to. I, for instance, read barely 3-4 books last year. The books I intended to read in 2014 are still pending.
The best thing to do is, to prepare a list of books you intend to read. Keep going through the list and soon, you will find yourself remembering about your goals more often. Movie lovers can do the same with movies.In a year, there are so many moments we waste unknowingly. Always carry a book around so that you can read whenever you get a free time. In this manner, you won’t get bored and you will achieve your goals.
3. For Globetrotters and Bikers – Whether you are a Globetrotter or a crazy biker, prepare a list of places you wish to visit. I know that most of the guys prefer impulsive rides. You can have that. Preparing a list makes it easier to decide. But most importantly, like I mentioned earlier, looking at the list urges you to travel more.
When you get tied up with work or studies, you don’t realize that the year is coming to an end. It is in the end that you look back and regret that you didn’t do much that year. The list will be a reminder. When you look at the list, you’ll look at the calendar. The fact that you haven’t covered much of the items will make you go for an impulsive ride or trip.
4. Learn Something New – I decided to learn a new language. You can decide on anything you have an aptitude for. Here are some tips:
- Martial arts
- Music or musical instruments – Indian or western.
- Knitting or stitching
- Painting of any kind – Pots, Mural, Fabric, there are a hundred options.
- Craft and DIY tricks
- A degree in a subject that you are interested in – Fashion, Vedas and Sanskrit have been in my mind for quite some time. But not this year.
- Sports – I am not listing anything here. You know it better.
5. Cook – Ladies and Gentlemen! Cook something new. Not Indian or Chinese! Something very very different whose name you can’t even pronounce! Be it Mtuzi Wa Samaki from Africa or Char Kway Teow from Singapore or Fiori di Zucca from Rome. I have no idea what these are, but you get the point. Later, if you feel up to it, you can prepare a four course dinner for a family or friend. Who else can you experiment on? 😉
Along with this, you may also take up learning actual cooking. It is a goal that will help you throughout your life. Eating is something we cannot stop. It is only natural to know how to cook. A bit of burnt curry a day is better than hotel food for an entire year. It is no rocket science; you’ll pick up with practice.
6. Meet a Friend You Haven’t Met for Many Years – Outside the city! I said that because, you can also check out a place from your travel list. Write down the name of that friend you haven’t met for years. Maybe more than one. Call them up, discuss your plan. Keep in touch with them and discuss your visit more often. By doing this, you have already done half the job. They will remind you, your goals list will remind you and the universe will conspire to make you both meet.
7. Face Your Fears – I am not the right one to say this. I have lots of fears and I am too skeptical to face them. This is for those people who are more daring and who will have the guts to put this down in their goals list. Pick up one of those fears; whether it is facing the public, heights, clients or anything else, decide to go for it and get it over with. Er… I shouldn’t dwell much on this. 😛
Somali K Chakrabarti
That’s the reason I don’t make resolutions. Nice tips and come up quickly with the remaining nine.
Haha me neither. 😀 I prepared the bucketlist after a long while, to make a difference 🙂
Maniparna Sengupta Majumder
I’ve stopped making resolutions. I don’t want to see the lazy me victorious each year… 😀 😛
Haha exactly my point. Chuck resolutions and make a list of things you want to do. 😀
16 Ideas to Make Your Year Memorable | A Few Handpicked Things in Life
[…] list is not exhaustive. You can read the first part of the post here and after reading the rest, decide on how you wish to make a difference in your life this […]
Thank you 😀
What a sweet and brimming with determination-post !
Well Ranju,the reason I don’t make resolutions is plain enough now ! I lacked this extensive plan 😀 loved it dear
…though sure, now the habits are too set to change ..but, I don’t know .I do surprise myself at times 😛
Thank you Kokila 🙂 Hehe I came up with this due to my inability to keep resolutions 😛
So, I hope this year certain twists and turns take place & you turn out to be triumphant 😉
GOT is not one book, but you begin from there 😀 Good luck for that 😉
Hehe technically, GOT is one book. A song of Ice & fire is the series. I intend to read just that book this year. Thanks boss 😀
Haan correct 😉 But you just can’t stop after reading 1 book 🙁 sari padhni padegi 😛 I am also stuck at 4th book since 10 months :X
Hehe I doubt if I can finish this one 😛
You can! You will have to. There’s no other way 😛
A good post Ranjana with some useful tips!
Thank you. 🙂 My name is Ranjini 🙂
So, where does this journey actually begin in your case? 🙂 Is it with the language?
Hihihi nalla chodyam. My journey is tied to the bucketlist post I had written earlier. It begins with improving my language & reading. Now that the results are out, it’s all going to get washed out 😛